Monday, July 26, 2010

Jamie's bacon-y cabbage

Sorry for the lack of posts of late - it's been a bit hectic at chez Alphie of late. I'm about to head off to Perth (for an undefined period) for work, so I've been busy packing and making sure FH Alphie will be ok without me.

Dinner tonight was lamb cutlets (lamb again? I hear you say, but I just can't help it, Mums lambs are soooo delicious), with mash and, Jamie Oliver's bacon-y cabbage. Which, as a side note, I am fairly sure is not what Jamie calls it, but my Ministry of Food cookbook has been packed away, so I can't check.

I tried Jamie's cabbage recipe about 12 months ago, on a whim, and it has been a regular winter side dish at chez Alphie ever since (we've had it two nights in a row now...). I have used both Savoy and regular (green?) cabbage, as well as Brussels sprouts (halved), and they have all worked well. If anything, the Brussels sprouts were probably my favourite.

Jamie's bacon-y cabbage
Jamie's Ministry of Food
serves 4-6
  • 1 small or 1/2 a large cabbage, shredded (or 500g Brussels sprouts, halved)
  • 4-6 rashers smoky bacon, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
  • 1tbs olive oil
  • 2 knobs butter
  • 2-3tbs Worcestershire sauce
  • 250ml chicken stock (hot works best)

In a large non stick fry pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat, and cook bacon until it starts to brown. Add the garlic, and once it starts to colour, add the butter and Worcestershire sauce (off the heat - it will spit). Then add the cabbage, and stir to coat.


Turn the heat up to high, add in the stock, and shake around a bit to combine. Put a lid on the pan, and leave for 5 minutes, shaking occasionally. Take the lid off, and continue to cook, until the cabbage is soft, and most of the liquid has evaporated.


-Alphie

No comments:

Post a Comment