Monday, July 19, 2010

Mexican beans

My younger sister requested I include more vegetarian recipes (not that we don't eat veggie things, I just haven't blogged on many of them), so here it is. This is based on a recipe from a very 90's cookbook called Meals without meat, which I picked up from a garage sale for about 50c, and I have used a lot - more than some of my more expensive cookbooks (V, I hear ya!).

This is a quick & easy vegetarian take on chilli con carne, and can be used for burritos, tacos, nachos, or just eaten with rice.

Mexican beans
adapted from meals without meat, pg 32
serves 4

  • 2 large onions, diced
  • 6 cloves garlic, finely diced
  • 2tbs rice bran oil
  • 2 capsicums, seeded and diced
  • 1/2tsp chilli powder (or more to taste)
  • 1/2tsp chilli flakes (or more to taste)
  • 3tsp ground cumin
  • 1 1/2tsp dried oregano
  • 1 1/2tsp salt
  • 1 1/2tsp sugar
  • 3tbs tomato paste
  • 2 x 400g cans red kidney beans

Heat oil in a large pan, and cook the onion and garlic until just soft. Add the capsicum, and sauté for a few minutes, then add the spices (chilli, cumin, oregano, salt & sugar). Stir until fragrant, then add in the tomato paste and stir to coat.

Add in one can of beans, liquid and all (I know it sounds crazy, but it helps to thicken the mixture). Drain the other can, add to the pan and add half a can of water.

Check out the different colours of the red kidney beans - Aldi v Annalisa from BiLo

Simmer for 3-4 minutes, or until desired thickness.

-Alphie

No comments:

Post a Comment